Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Round Two

Last Tuesday, September 6th, was my second round of chemo.  This time it took 3 nurses (not there fault but my veins) to attempt finding a vein and after a brutal 6 tries we finally got some blood! I was beginning to think I didn't exist.  After years of steroids, my veins are shot!

After they were able to draw some blood, we could get the treatment started. I put up the legs on the recliner, curled up with my blanket, got a good book out, and then.... they gave me IV benydryl! It was a little  hard to focus on reading so I indulged myself in a little cable TV! (We opted for Netlix instead of cable). So even though I was stuck to an IV pole, life isn't that bad when you are forced to relax for a few hour.

After my treatment, I was still a little groggy. Patrick came and picked me up, and cook me an AMAZING dinner. He is the best! I am very thankful for a wonderful, hard working husband! AND since they have great anti-nausea medicines now, I did not have any trouble with nausea this time and the IV steroids kicked up my appetite.  Patrick was only back in town for a few days, and I wanted to spend as much quality time with him as I could so I did everything I could to fight sleep. It was hard! Thursday, after he left, I slept and slept and slept!  I am not a big fan of sleep, so I felt like a wasted the day, but I guess my body needed it.  Being home when you are sick can be your worst enemy. Instead of resting, I see toys that need to be picked up, clothes that needed to be washed, dishes that need to be cleaned, counters that need to be wiped, and the list goes on and on.  Through all of this, I have now learned that there will always be "projects" to do and I have learned to listen to body and REST. Some of you can relate. We run ourselves down, trying to be super mom, super wife, and super hard worker.  Kind of strange that I am one of these people and I was diagnosed with a disease that is aggravated by stress.

The last few days I have had swollen feet from some of the medications and disease process, causing me to have beautiful cankles (when the ankle and calf disappear). Quite sexy! It comes and goes. Along with that, I have severe cramping in my legs occasionally. Today, the nurse called to tell me about my labs and it is a good thing I am a clinical dietitian and know a great deal about lab work-especially in relation to diet. I found out it was my low blood calcium level and low albumin level (protein in the blood cells) that is causing the camping and swelling. I am going to start taking 2 tums (calcium carbonate) a day and increase my intake of food/drink fortified in calcium (milk, cheese, yogurt, broccoli, canned salmon, tofu-YUM)!.  My labs are already starting to improve!! I needed to hear this good news, because unlike my usual self, I was starting to think negative thoughts and the worst possible situation. You need to always think positive, whatever problems you are facing! AND focus faith, hope, and love!

Quick side note: I don't know what I would do without my friends! I used to be very prideful and did not ask for help when I needed it. Forget that!!! I love the help and especially the calls and "stop by's" from my friends! A few of my friends brought me homemade enchiladas and watched a movie with me! Another friend came by for dinner and to play with Liam and I. My girlfriends are constantly calling/texting to check up on me! You know who you are and you all are amazing! Thank you for all the kind words, thoughts, prayers, and especially love you have shown!

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."  ~Leo Buscaglia



2 comments:

  1. oh laura hoping you're feeling better and wishing you a speedy come back! stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Libby! Thank you so much!! Miss seeing you! Hope you and your family are well!

    ReplyDelete